Thursday, December 10, 2009

Jolly Ole' Fellow

Last year's visit was a disaster. On two separate occasions she screamed as if she was being tortured in the cruelest of ways. All year long she's looked at that picture and said, "Ella cry." So I started early this year. At the first mention of him I began: "Are you going to cry? " to which she would reply, "No, I not cry." It went on: "Are you going to sit in his lap and let Mama take a picture?" "I sit in Santa Cwaus wap and Mommy take pit-chure." We talked it up with friends, we talked about it with grandparents, we even talked about him at church.

We had it all rehearsed. She was certain, "Ella not cry." But would it work?

On the way, Ella and Kate had the very same conversation that Ella and I had been having for weeks, except for I think Kate said he would give her "canny" (candy). We walked right in, all pepped and ready to go:

Part 1: Ella

There was a slight bit of apprehension that made me a little uneasy. I figured we'd better go ahead and see Mr. C before she had the chance to back out.











Apparently the pep talk we've had for the last 3 weeks worked. She loved Santa, told him exactly what she wanted (Guess Who? Elmo), and gave him a hug goodbye. She's asked to see him every day since.

Part 2: Kate

Same experience last year, same pep talk beforehand, but a different result.

She wanted "My Urhl" until she realized we were all in cahoots.

Santa even went and hid so she wouldn't be scared. Until Mama took her to find him.

She sat down in the chair until she realized he was behind her. At that point she took off running and screaming. Literally. We had to chase her.

She wasn't convinced. At all. Definitely a girl who knows what she does and doesn't want.

Part 3: Just friends

Kate couldn't be convinced to visit with Santa that day, but she didn't mind Ella. We wanted Santa but settled for Ella.






0 comments: