It's almost that time again. You know, for holiday baking. Since the upcoming feasts are nearly upon us, I thought I would share with you my favorite holiday treat. Since you asked, and all...
This red velvet cake recipe is none other than my Mamaw's. Actually, I'm not really sure there are many things that are this detailed that I would attempt that aren't my Mamaw's recipe. She's always so patient to answer my dumb questions when I call. And I do, I promise.
Anyway, back to the recipe. These are the ingredients you need. By the far chance that you actually do decide to make this recipe, I'll list all the ingredients at the bottom for you. 'Cause I'm nice like that.

After gathering all the ingredients, make sure your assistant is cleaned up and ready to go. And if you're crazy enough to enlist the help of an assist, they need way more than an apron and hat to keep clean. Trust me.
This is important. The 2 1/2 cups of plain flour need to be sifted. Apparently it helps to create a smoother cake. I just do what I'm told.
You'll also add a bunch of healthy ingredients like sugar, buttermilk, cocoa, eggs, and flavorings.
Mix and the ingredients well. But not too much. Just enough to get everything mixed together.

Pour into two, well-greased, 9" round pans.

Place into a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.

For the icing, you just need to mix all of the ingredients listed below.

Spread evenly.
This step is optional, but my assistant felt it was necessary, to lick the extra icing off the spoon.
Enjoy!
Red Velvet Cake:
- 2.5 cups sifted, plain flour
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cocoa
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vinegar
- One 1 oz bottle of red food coloring
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp butternut flavoring
Combine ingredients together, pour into two 9" pans, and bake at 350 degrees for 25 mins
Cream Cheese Icing:
- 1/2 cup real butter (softened)
- 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 1 lb confectioners sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- chopped nuts (optional)
Mix evenly and spread on cooled cake and in between layers









0 comments:
Post a Comment