Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful Thursday

This day seems so overlooked; skipping straight from Halloween to Christmas. Kora and I were talking several weeks ago how it seems so unimportant to our nation...we hadn't even made it to November before we were hearing Christmas music in stores and seeing commercials on TV. Other than grocery stores, today isn't about making money and commercialism. It's about much more than that...and that's certainly fine with me. Although you know I could go on and on and on, I won't (ok, just a little). But I do want you to know how truly thankful I am for all of the blessings of today- and everyday.


I'm thankful for...


1. marriage. I never would've thought of it myself, but what an amazing gift it is. I'm pretty biased, but I happen to know that God saved the best mate for me...sorry for all of you that didn't get my Earl. I'm so thankful that he's him...all of him: understanding, funny, patient, cooperative, indecisive, OCD, not modest. I am thankful for each amazing and not-so-amazing thing about him. God designed this marriage thing for sure because I still don't have it figured out completely. I am, however, thankful that He (God) and he (Earl) continue to allow me the opportunity to do my best each day at this wonderful, imperfect marriage I have.


2. my little turkey. She's so much more to me than I could've ever imagined. Even at one, she's my friend. I'm so thankful that God has entrusted her to me for a season. I know she's not ultimately mine forever or even to start with (though I do have bragging rights), but I am ever thankful and honored that God thought enough of me to have this precious gift. I'm so undeserving of such a huge blessing.


3. grandparents. I'm thankful for the memories I have of the ones that have passed and the relationships I have with the ones that are still here. I miss them all greatly, alive or not, and I am thankful for the Christian legacies that they have left or will leave behind. I am thankful that they gave me amazing parents and through them have passed down some admirable qualities and traits that I will never be able to emulate but at least love that I can try. For example, let's just stick with the women: If I could only possess my Mama Sue's determination and fashion and my Mamaw's meekness and cooking abilities I would be the best woman around town- and that's no lie!


4. parents. For my God-given parents and my Earl-given parents (who God gave me too). They are such an amazing support system for me through good and bad. My parents have to love me, even when I'm tough to love, but Earl's don't...and they do anyway! Each one of them touches my heart and life in more ways than they'll ever know. If I'm ever going to make it through this post, I'd better stop there, I'm already bawling my eyes out. I love you all!


5. family. I know it's general, but within this word I mean so much. I mean sisters that are opposites in some ways but in most ways have shared the exact same lives together, brothers that I love dearly even if they are Gators (that really is true love) or kill innocent deer out for a stroll, and then all those in between.


6. friends. Those that are so close they don't have to finish my sentences because they know my thoughts and those that I haven't spoken to in a month. Each one has played an integral part in my life. Who can live without friends? Not me!


7. Christ. I'm so thankful for Jesus and His sacrifice for me and you on that cross. I'm thankful that each day I figure out how to royally screw things up yet He still continues to love me like no one else does.


You'll notice each of these groups are people, not things. I am very thankful for the things that God has blessed me with, but I am most thankful for everyONE God has blessed me with. So much so, that I decided to not mention all the other "things"...even though I am thankful for them.


Wow, that was lengthy and more emotional for me than I intended, but very necessary for such a day as this. I hope that instead of focusing on where you'll be from 3:00am to 10:00pm on Friday (I'll be shopping...the entire time...without question) you'll take today and focus on what you have to be thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving from The Shad Shack to you!

0 comments: