Saturday, February 7, 2009

We HEART You Pawpaw!


Wednesday night I received a call that my dad was at the hospital with heart complications. So at nearly midnight Lindsey and I headed to see what was going on. He was having no chest pains, he just had some high blood pressure and the EMT at the fire station advised him to go. He was in great spirits, up talking, and having no pain. The monitors read a completely different story. He ended up spending the night in ICU at Rockdale Hospital Wednesday night and was transferred on Thursday to Emory for further testing. When I arrived to the hospital on Thursday I saw one impatient, frustrated, and hungry individual. Unless you know my dad, you cannot appreciate the three descriptors I used- specifically the last one. He hadn't eaten since the night before. You laugh, but the hunger factor just about sent him, and the rest of us over the edge. He also has diabetes, so when you combine hunger and low sugar you have a recipe for disaster. Really. The doctor arrived with 2 minutes to spare before my dad was about to get off the bed and walk out. Seriously, he said he would and I fully believe that he would have. I cannot even attempt to write the name of the procedure they performed, but basically they entered his body and shocked his heart back into rhythm. All he asked was that we all go eat while he was in surgery. For him. And after surgery he wanted something there to eat. So of course we honored his wishes and went to the University Cafeteria is his name:




Here we are from L to R: Lynnie (his bro), Lindsey (his 2nd favorite daughter :)), Some old man we felt sorry for (no really, his friend, Mark), Tena (his wife...whose nerves were completely shot at this point), Suzette (his sis), Dan, and Bobby (the two main reasons my dad stayed in bed...his pastors). Of course me, but as always, I am behind the camera.

Well, I say everyone ate, except this crazy guy. He said he was holding out on both food and tobacco (their shared love and addiction) just for him...


He came out of surgery, and I kid you not, the man inhaled 4 pieces of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, creamed corn, cinnamon rolls, and banana pudding from Mary Macs. Seriously. The nurses could not believe it. Neither could I. Earl (along with Kora and J) was the hero of the night for bringing it to him. When I talked to him today to check on him (he's at home now) guess where he was?!? Eating. Guess what he said?? "Thank you so much for everything you did for me. Please tell Earl thank you so much for my dinner." Hmmm...The way to man's heart is through his stomach. Never such a true statement. Never.

1 comments:

Kora said...

Glad his ole heart is back on track!

FYI- Your photo on "All About Me" section isn't showing up. You might want to look at it :)