Monday, May 18, 2009

Not-so-Green Thumb

I will not even pretend to know the first thing about planting, gardening, or even keeping plants alive for that matter. I do enjoy flowers outside my house, but I can't even keep a peace lily watered and alive inside my house. Even despite these things, I still wanted to plant something with my little one this spring. I knew it had to be easy, so when I found this kit, I figured I could handle it.

You don't even have to mess with potting soil, it comes complete with these "tablets":

Since I am obviously horticulturally challenged, Ella jumped right on this new and different science experiment. She placed a soil tablet and helped me measure out two teaspoons of water for each pot.


While waiting for the soil tablets to absorb the water, Ella enjoyed a snack. These Cheese-Its are the first objects she ever counted, for those of you keeping track. I swear, it came from nowhere.

Then it was time to plant the seeds. Ella placed 3-6 seeds (or 7 or 12) in each pot. As I would count the three seeds in her hand, she would just continue on until she reached 10. It was the most random thing ever, but that's enough about counting.


After all the seeds were buried, it was time to "water" them using a light mist or dropper. Ok, so this picture is totally a photo op, but it was all a part of the process. She couldn't master the squeezing of the handle, but in the end I don't think she knew any different.



The lid was placed on top and put in a sunny area for 9-14 days.



Here's the progress on day 6. I'm beginning to be a little impressed, thinking I, I mean, we, might not be so terrible after all.



You'll notice no more pictures after day 6. That's because somewhere between day 9 and 14 Ella decided to taste our plants. Uh huh...I walked into the laundry room one day only to find my little botanist with a black ring around her mouth and green leaves stuck in her teeth. Accompanying this sight was a not so pleasant look on her face followed by "Eeewy!" Needless to say, our science experiment went in the trash can. The bad gene must have been passed down, but can I just say, even I am not that bad.

4 comments:

Krystal said...

Just so you know - this post made me laugh out loud!

Felicia said...

that wasn't the ending I was expecting!!!! She really is Preston's kindred spirit! :)

Ashley said...

Ok too cute! Where did you find the kit? Kenz would love it!!!

Doodlebug, Ladybug, and Dumpling said...

LOL...that is gross! We tried to germinate our own tomato seeds this year, but our problem wasn't our child eating them...it was our foster kitten! Thanks, kitty! :)